Scripture

Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. - Romans 12:10-13 (NKJV)

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Waiting…. How many of us enjoying waiting?

Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the Lord!”  Psalm 27:14


Waiting…. How many of us enjoying waiting?
Waiting at red lights…
Waiting in line at the store…
Waiting for a response…

Yet, God is reminding me in the midst of my waiting that He is enough.  What does that mean?  It means that even though I don’t know why, I don’t know when things will change, or how things will change, I can trust that God is in control.  As I yield to His leadership and follow the leading He gives me that is what I am to do today.

What if this never happens or I never get that?

Well, if no is the answer, there is a good reason.  When we were children and our parents said no to something, we had to let it go and not harp on them for it.  We chose to trust them.  God is the same.  He says no for a good reason.  He may be saying not right now.  Either way, it doesn’t change the fact that He is good, trustworthy, and faithful.  I don’t have to understand everything.  I do know that God is good and I can trust His heart when I can’t see what He is doing.

Sometimes I put God in a box and I don’t even realize it.  Today I was reading in 1 Samuel 4 how the Ark of the Covenant was captured by the Philistines.  This brought great sorrow to the Israelites.  The amazing thing is, where ever the Philistines took the ark, it brought great tragedy to that Philistine city.  One of my favorite passages is 1 Samuel 5:1-5.  God was making a point to them.  This ark does not belong to you.  Return it to the rightful owners or you will suffer the consequences.  They kept moving the ark to different cities until they realized that they needed to get rid of it.


The Philistines decided to load the ark onto a cart that would be pulled by two cows.  They would let the cows go free and let them determine their own path.  The Philistines said that if the cart goes back to the Israelites, it indeed was the God of the Israelites that smote them.  If the cows went off anywhere else, their misery was happenstance.  Can you guess where the cows went?  Yep, down the road towards the Israelites.

This reminded me that God is much bigger than me and my understanding.  When things don’t work out according to how I thought they would, it does not diminish God’s sovereignty.  It’s easy to get caught up in what I want, when I think it might happen, and lose sight of all of the great things God is doing in the here and now.  The future is for Him to determine.  I just need to stay faithful to what He has called me to right now.  I can take my hand off the door of tomorrow and put it to work doing what has been ordained for today.


I was challenged with a thought that I read on a blog about why we sometimes have to wait: “To build your dependence on Him when you are barren and empty to see if He is truly all you desire and all you need.”  So, am I going to remain with my eyes fixed on my hopes and dreams of tomorrow, or am I going to be faithful with what He has given for me to do today?  I choose today.  I choose to be faithful today.  What do you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment