Scripture

Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. - Romans 12:10-13 (NKJV)

Monday, November 3, 2014

The Vineyard

As we continue to wait upon the Lord for His guidance and timing, I would like to share a part of the trip that challenged me and helped me at the same time.  While we were in Rotorua at Calvary Chapel Bible Institute, Pastor Mark asked a simple question.  In my words, it is great that we wanted to serve, but what has God placed on our hearts that we are passionate towards.  Simple, but sometimes we lose sight of the simple things.

I must say, I was quite stoic and quiet for the next few days.  It wasn't a hard question per se but for some reason I was having a hard time saying anything.  Why was this so hard?  What I had figured out was that the passion that I knew about years ago had been overgrown with other things.  The busyness of life and serving; my focus had lost its sharpness and I must admit I felt a bit awkward like I should have known better.

In the Gospel of John Chapter 15, Jesus talks about the true vine.  In v2 He states, ”Every branch in Me that does not bear much fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.”  Later on in v6 He states, “If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.”  As believers we are the branches that get our nourishment from the vine (God).  There are two ways that we can go, we can bear fruit and be pruned or wither and be burned.  Either option is not one we readily look towards.  God was pruning me.  Be it too much on my plate, or this new season of life that I am going through, God loves me to prune me.  He clips away the dead stuff as well as some healthy stuff so that I may “bear more fruit”.

As I look back, I am so thankful for the question and uneasiness that it presented in my heart.  I have a renewed passion for worship and it helps me add another lens to view options through.  Are the things that I spend time on glorifying God?  Am I worshiping God through my thoughts and actions?  In the end it is just as John penned in v8 of Chapter 15, “By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.”

In His Grace and Mercy,

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment