Scripture

Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. - Romans 12:10-13 (NKJV)

Monday, August 11, 2014

Opportunity awaits you...today

This week I have been looking at The Lord’s Prayer in Matthew 6 and verse 11 stood out to me, “Give us this day our daily bread” (NKJV).  It is a simple line for a simpler way of life; praying for the things of today.  I thought to myself of how many times I have not prayed about today.  How many times have I thrown today away because I have it all planned out so I cannot possibly fit any changes.  How many times have I been more interested in the future that I have missed the opportunities for God to work in me today.

Now, it isn’t that God doesn’t want to hear us ask about tomorrow or next week, nor does God dislike planning, it just shouldn’t supplant our vision for the present.  I know I have been guilty of looking to events happening next week or on the upcoming weekend.  Not only have looked towards them, I have worried about them.  So now, I have borrowed worry/trouble from tomorrow.  Which incidentally Jesus warns us about in the last verse of Matthew 6, “Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” (NKJV)

Now that I am aware of praying for today I am good, right?  More like, better.  We also have our ability to act.  Just like we have the ability to choose right and wrong, we have the ability to choose to act or not.  Have you ever had something or someone slip into your vision and you look at them.  Maybe it is a mom trying to open a door and push stroller through, or piece of trash on the ground.  Do you just watch or do you do something about it?  I know I have watched a lot in my life and God has been working on me to do more. 

I think one of the reasons why we don’t do anything is that we tend to think that the action needs to be grandiose.  Is it a burning building?  Is there dire need at church?  But if we tell people that following Jesus is different because it is about a relationship and yet avoid people or are not available for them, how then are we striving to be more Christ like?


I believe John commented on this behavior best in First John 3:18, “Dear children, let us not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.”  (NLT)

Blessings,
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment